Eden Phillpotts

The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.

21 September 2008

Welcome, Greeners!

Or so read the signs littering the campus this weekend of my arrival at the Evergreen State College. I have to say the most memorable moments over the last twenty-five or so hours have taken place in Evergreen's stunning woods. It is absolutely striking, how beautiful it is out here. But I didn't really take note of that until a few hours after we'd arrived.

When I first got to my dorm, four name tags hung on our door signaled by first name to my roommates and myself that this was our floor. Each name was written on a wanted sign, and below each name was the crime that particular student had committed. Mine was for insulting a mustache. The reward? 30,000 dollars.

I admit that after I got all my possessions into my room, I was completely apprehensive, stressed, and lonely - despite the name tags and despite the fact that my best friend is living with me. I missed my family, my friends, my room, and my cat, but it turned out to be wonderful. Though I have only just gotten close to finishing unpacking (I only have to put up my decorations), I already started to feel like it was my room last night when I went to bed. It was probably because I had a nice, comfortable bed to roll into after the raging party in the woods I attended for ten minutes and the left from, bored.

In any case, Clint and I stayed up until one last night and got up at eight this morning. I experimented with my first home-cooked meal. Well, kind of. It was microwaveable oatmeal, and since I didn't have a microwave, I just poured boiling water into it which worked out fine. Then I went back to bed.

When I finally got up for the day, Clint and I hurried out to the student accounts building to get our IDs. They were closed, so we went to the bookstore to get my books, the registration room to get our IDs again (still closed), and the Child Care Center to check up on our job applications. They, too, were closed. So finally, we just went into town.

If you haven't yet been to Olympia, I suggest that the first place you should try is the Bread Peddler. It's this wonderful little bakery on Capitol Way and Third (or Fifth). It had a wonderful atmosphere - i.e. not a college cafe - and even more wonderful food. They serve hot and cold sandwiches, desserts, pastries, soups, breads, coffee, and wine (11AM until close). The cheeses are all excellent, the desserts and pastries are fresh, and almost everything is organic, locally grown, and of impressively high quality. You can eat in or to-go. There's also a pre-made station where you can pick up a sandwich or doughnut, along with a local juice, and head out the door. There's indoor and outdoor seating, and it's on a very lovely stretch of road.

Anyway, before we made it to the bakery, Clint and I stopped by a great comic book store just a few blocks away where I bought the first two issues Neil Gaiman's Sandman. It's a wonderful story - as expected from Gaiman - but the art is stunning. The colorist is absolutely brilliant. I suggest all of you artsy/comic book people reading this check out his Sandman series.

At 4:30, we had a meeting with our RA. It was all of gender neutral housing, so there were a good twenty to thirty people in the room. Our first ice breaker activity was a basic name game. We were each given a Hershey's kiss and a condom. Based on the color of each, we had to describe ourselves. If one had a golden kiss, she had to name her favourite Spice Girl. Silver, and she had to name her favourite Rocky Horror character. Red, and she had to name her favourite city. The color of the condom was more loose: one would have to describe herself with an adjective that rhymed with or alliterated the color, or simply name a memory that came to mind when looking at it. Fortunately, most people opted for the first option (though some students did end up divulging the exact age at which they lost their virginities).

My RA's name is Larry. He's a totally fun human being. Clint and I talked to him for a while, asked him questions, and joined him for dinner with the other freshmen from our housing. My roomates are also very cool. Chantal is a sophomore from Maine who drove all the way here in her truck, and Russel is a twenty-one-year-old freshman from somewhere with Buddhas and pictures of Hindu tapestries all over his walls. My guess is he doesn't really have a coherent religion. Russel, as it turns out, has excellent taste in music and is a really easygoing, eager individual. Chantal is a sweet gal who is actually aware of her roommates when considering bringing her friends over. I anticipate an easy year with the two of them.

----

Well, as I write this, it's starting to get late and I still have not finished getting everything organized. My most prized possessions - my books - are staring at me longingly from their various homes, so I think it's time I sit down and read some more Sandman and maybe get some posters on my walls. I need a little relaxation after today's excitement and tragedies (my motherboard died on my linux box and I am positively heartbroken), but I will continue to keep you all updated on orientation week as exciting new things happen.



Au revoir, mes amis.

4 comments:

Lesley said...

I hope you have a great year. My daughter, Lily, is about to start her third year at Evergreen. She absolutely loves it. You'll probably recognise her on campus: she has crutches and her left leg in a cast from a broken ankle! If you see her, say hi — she'll love that!

Laurie said...

I am SO SORRY about your motherboard...I'm really sad for you right now ... honestly... );

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Oh Abby, I want to live your life! Your school is sooo-so cool! For the next year i am going to be living your life through your posts so don't stop! Isn't it awesome to be around so many different people whose only thing they have in common with you is their ability to be totally excepting of life? That's my idea of paradise. Oh I wish I was you!

But only superficially. I'm happy here at Edmonds Community College. I'm meeting so many new cool people! One of them is this cute study-abroad student from France named Louis. Can't wait to talk to you later...