Eden Phillpotts

The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.

25 September 2008

Karma

Being in a dorm with two men has made me believe in karma. For years, I was the laziest, dirtiest resident in my house (though I still stand by the fact that Natalie's room was almost always more disgusting than mine). But since coming to college, I've been the cleanest out of all of us.

Now, I should say here that it's not through lack of trying that my roommates come across as lazy. Clint tries very hard to keep the place clean - but it's the little things that count. The cabinets left unclosed, the bathroom door open at all hours, the cereal bag on the dining room table every morning. I now sympathize greatly with my mom and step mom. My god, I feel like I spend every second closing things and putting things away and washing dishes! Lights are always left on. It's unbelievable.

That being said, I still adore them. Russel has the most excellent musical tastes. He's a drummer and a DJ. His specialty is essentially everything. He listens to jazz, dance, electronic, reggae, rock, pop, hip hop, and much more. He's a big Vivaldi fan, which is my only beef. Vivaldi's fine, but I don't really find much enjoyment out of listening to him. Clint too has great taste, and he and I have been close friends for several years.

I just wish that when I asked Clint if he was going to just leave the bread out on the counter like that, that he hadn't responded with, "I'll move it since it's in your way." Why on earth don't you move it because bread doesn't like to sit out and get stale on a counter? Why in Christ's name don't you move it because you're not using it anymore?! What's wrong with that?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The downfall of apartment style housing... Although, I get sick of people leaving toothpaste and floss on the bathroom counters and leaving soap in the showers... It's just annoying. And how many bottles of soap do we need by the kitchen sink? Fortunately, I needn't worry about doors and lights and food and that stuff.

Carissa said...

It seems to me you are learning that, just like small children, guys cannot understand the concept of picking up after themselves. But that's very sexist of me. In truth, we all love to be sloppy pigs at times. It's so freeing! I guess sloppy is in the eye of the beholder. That is, the one who is slightly less sloppy then their peers. Love you, Abby.