Eden Phillpotts

The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.

25 January 2009

Separatism

Nearly halfway through my second quarter, I am beginning to settle in to the college routine. I've found a fine balance between work and play, which is excellent. I'm doing well in school and I love it, and my friends and I are comfortable in our relationships. But despite all the good, there is still quite a bit of controversy to deal with.

As you may or may not expect, Evergreen (and Olympia) is filled with queer separatists. It's an environment relatively new to me, as the attitude back home was much more relaxed. The trouble is that some of these folks have become good friends of mine over the last few months, and some of my good friends have become favorably disposed towards the mindset - and it's causing a lot of drama.

Unfortunately, it all centers around sexuality. A few of my friends and I have decided to move out as soon as is feasible because we've suddenly found ourselves in this hostile separatist environment. Sure, I understand the motivations and emotions behind the hatred towards the straight-identified community, but it demonizes not just the target "demographic," but also anyLGBTQ person who disagrees. I've felt rifts growing between some of my closest friends because of this.

Just to avoid being vague, I am not a separatist. I don't think words like "breeder" or obsessive labeling are okay. I mean, what the hell, if my parents (or one of them) hadn't been breeders, I wouldn't be here. And my "straight-identified" parents are fucking wonderful. My "straight-identified" friends are wonderful. And they didn't determine their sexuality any more than the LGBT folk did, and they didn't create the cultural stigma we all have to deal with. And what's worse than hating on my  straight peeps is the accosting of my not-entirely-gay ones. 

A couple of the loveliest women I've ever met in my life currently feel uncomfortable in their living situation because they're both in relationships with men. One woman even identifies as a lesbian. She's got it the worst because she's not a real queer, right? But straight women have been dating gay women forever, so who's to say we can reduce sexuality to something that can be defined as simply as that? We've got some pretty complicated DNA, so how can anything about us truly be that simple?

I have to say, however, that some of the people I'm specifically targeting in here are really great, and I mean that. They're intelligent, thoughtful, caring, and brave. But they're angry. So I understand, but I wish it could be different. I don't want to lose close friends because I can't feel comfortable in my own ambiguous sexuality. But I suppose that's the nature of the beast.

On that note, I hope y'all are  embracing the complexity within you and enjoying your lives!


Peace&love

No comments: