Eden Phillpotts

The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.

18 October 2009

Self Gratification and Discovery

Blogs really are a form of self gratification. Becuase of that, I hardly ever post. Sorry, faithful reader(s)(if any exist).

Anyway, in an effort to connect better with my program (Eye of the Story: ethnography and creative writing), I'm going to attempt to blog more frequently. I should probably set a limit. Three a week? Think that's doable? We'll see.

So let's get to the life update: I am now living with a family. Mother and father, both twenty six; three year old daughter; six month old son; two cats; and Franny. Franny is my cat of twelve years, and it's excellent having her around. I am studying, as previously mentioned, ethnography and creative writing.

Right now, I am with the preschooler, K, and my good friend, Leah, watching a School House Rock episode about checks and banks.

"What's this about?" K asks.

"This is about checking accounts." Leah replies.

Leah quilts, K watches, I blog, and all of us learn about adjectives. "Boys are dumb, or else they're brainy," we learn. The narrators leave no room for mediocrity. But soon, K is tired and heads to Leah's room for a nap. How long she will be there, I do not know, but I am glad for the break from School House Rock. As great as it is, one can only take so many songs about prepositions, deficits, and discovery.

A song starts when she has left describing the pilgrims and the history of colonial America. The plight of the Indians during this time is referenced only by a caricature which appears at the landing at Plymouth Rock. But before the song ends, Leah turns off the DVD player.

This is a familiar afternoon. Whether it's watching the kids (I do part-time nannying), hanging out with Leah in her craft room, or both, I have found constancy in my life. I have people, I have place. And every day, I learn something new. Like yesterday, for example, I felt the sting of my own prejudices. And today, I realized that writing makes me feel alive. Certainly, I've learned this before, but I forget. Sometimes, we can learn the same thing over and over, and still never know it. I hope that I know this now. I hope things will change.

And I hope that people, place, and vitality exist in all of your lives as well. Until next time...

peace&love

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I really do faithfully check your blog. I'm excited to see what's to come!