Eden Phillpotts

The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.

31 October 2009

Coffee with breakfast

I'm sitting in Claudia's living room, listening to Dead Can Dance and drinking coffee from Bagel Brother's in Oly. She is in the kitchen, making smoothies and eggs. Her kitty, Elliot, is regarding me from her post on the tweed-patterned seat in the living room. Last night, Claudia and I missed the last bus downtown. We were at a friend's, enjoying a potluck and movie, and lost track of time reading Sherman Alexie. I often lose track of time reading Sherman Alexie.

So, we woke up this morning at Jack and Toru's, missed another bus, and made our way back to her apartment to eat breakfast and prepare for the day.

Claudia, whom I met a year ago in the Russia program, is now again in my program, Eye of the Story. We've become close since the field trip during week three to the Long Beach Peninsula. We have quite a bit in common, and seem to be working with the same membrane. It's a good friendship, and I see it lasting for a long time.

Jack and Toru are two kids from the Russia program as well, and the potluckers consisted of the four of us and another friend from the program, Peter. It was a group of the nerdiest Russia programmers, and it was fantastic. I miss my old program. The new one is riddled with pretentious idiots. I hate them. I know it's strong, but I do. I can't stand being around them for so long. So it was nice to be in a group with such a great atmosphere.

Anyway, that was my night.

3 comments:

possum said...

Abby! Oooh I'm so jealous of you and you cool, calm Oly/college scene. Don't you think it's easier to be a pretentious snot when you're spending that much on tuition every year? Nothing against you of course, love. Send us some poetry sometime will you?
Carissa
P.S. If you see possum in the future, that's me.

Brandon Dilbeck said...

I just want to say that the name of your blog is the cleverest thing I've read in a long time.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Brandon!

And Carissa, certainly will.