Eden Phillpotts

The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.

24 December 2008

Christmas Eve

As is  tradition, my sister Natalie and I stay up every 12/24 to be awake when Christmas and Santa arrive. This year, it's no different. We're sitting, listening to Regina Spektor, and painting our toenails. Or, rather, Natalie's painting them. After that, we'll read Peef and The Polar Express (which we watched earlier this evening) and drink hot chocolate. The best part of Christmas lies in these moments.

Every year, it's the feeling of timelessness and peace which get to me the most. I feel connected with my sisters more than any other time of the year. Maybe that's in part because I'm now at college, but it's wonderful and rare to sit down with my little sister and hang out into the wee small hours of the morning. 

Christmas, for me, is a time for family. Of course, that means not only my blood relatives, but my closest friends and dearest communities. That includes my new family in the Evergreen Queer Alliance, the Meadowdale Gay Straight Alliance, Gender Neutral Housing, my friends at school, and my posse back at home in Edmonds.  Although I can't spend the holidays with those folk, I love them dearly. 

And I'm glad for this time I get to spend with my family. I hope that all of you out there have a time or an occasion when you can go home, settle down, and remember who is important to you. For some people, it's not even blood relatives. For some, it's their friends scattered throughout the world. But whoever it is that you love and depend on, who you miss and who you need in your life, I hope you find time for them. 

Remember who's important. Remember those who have helped you or needed your help. Remember to spend time with those who keep you sane - who help you stay human in this disconnected modern world.

And don't forget to celebrate the birth of Christ tonight, my friends. It may be your only chance for the next twelve months.


Peace and love.

No comments: