Eden Phillpotts

The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.

15 October 2008

Fuck you, John McCain

I just finished washing the debate, and all I can think about is how I want to kick John McCain's judgmental ass. I'm sorry if that sounds incredibly immature in dealing with other political beliefs - especially when it comes to abortion - but when a candidate for the president of the United States outright attacks a group of Americans - no matter how big or powerful - on the basis that their morals are seriously lacking because they differ from his, yeah, I'm gonna be pissed. In fact, I'm not just pissed- I am angrier than I have been in weeks.

Who is he to impose his religious beliefs as a secular official on an entire nation? Who is he to say that because my lack of Christian upbringing and therefore lack of "mainstream" belief I have any less an important voice in this democracy? And, what, because I believe that people have a right to choose their religious beliefs, I'm suddenly pro-murder? What a fucking dickhead.

And I don't give a shit if it's just pandering. John McCain is shitting on my beliefs and my ethics because our opinions differ. Fuck him and his judgmental attitude. I will never give that man a chance again. He is supposed to be running for the president of the United States. The country that, according to its early documents, stands for freedom of (and from) religious belief, equal value in front of the government and society, and celebration of healthy diversity within politics.

And as for federalist issues... Should we repeal equal suffrage, nondiscrimination acts, and slavery bans because the federal government bans them and not just the states? Every social movement, every added right in America begins at the state level and evolves to the federal level. We can't wait around for all fifty states to give all Americans freedom from the majority religions because it may never even happen. Only about half of the states approved women's suffrage before the the amendment passed.

As an atheist and a minority American, I am insulted by the suggestion that his beliefs trump mine because more people agree with him. What a fucking asshole.

I can't wait to vote Obama.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As much as i love you, your a hypocrit